Apr 20th – May 22rd --- Community Bonding period
May 23rd – July 6th --- Coding begins
And the initial dates of my exams were on June 16th – June 26th which got postponed to 22 to 5th july i guess.
July 7th – July 13th [7days] --- Midterm evaluation.
July 14th – Aug 10th --- Second phase of coding.
As you can see, I had my exams right in between the coding period, That really sucks you know?!!
I was lucky to have a good mentor George Goldberg and Kevin Krammer(you can call as my co-mentor) to guide me through. If you havent taken a look at my proposal, and reading my blogs related to Gsoc! maybe its time you should see it. http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg9f3fwb_4fdg7mpfh
The first thing in the project was to start with the I/O part and then start with telepathy watcher. But my mentor was quick to suggest me that instead of telepathy watcher i should start with the Kopete History plugin so that when i reach the telepathy watcher i will better understand things. True indeed!
I remember an interesting conversation i had with my mentor. These are the few lines that i know honestly that changed the way i work. Its not that i had never heard/read them before but this was certainly the first time that i really put it in execution and i am still doing it. At the first discussion about my project after the results were out, he asked me what my plans were and how was i going to do them, and i described some things to him(as at the beginning nothing was clear).
When i mentioned that these are the things that i am going to start with as soon as the coding period starts he said, " Why wait for the coding period to begin?, You have already done so much community boding lets start coding it". I was a little taken aback, and i said, "Right now??" and then he replied "Why not!?".
The impact of this Why not is such that today when i hear a good idea from my friend or somebody, and i see the light in their eyes and the zeal to work on it, i try to encourage them to start working right now, and if by mistake they ask me back right now, then you know what i tell them! :P
So i started with the kopete's history plugin. I put in lots of kDebug() to find out how the control is flowing, and what functions are getting called in different scenario's to understand how the the history plugin was working, then i put it all in a flowchart( on a chart paper) to understand better how things were working.
In order to work in accordance with Akonadi, we need to have an akonadi resource and A serializer.
When the Client application accesses akonadi, the Akonadi server then uses the resource to get that job done. for example If you need to create a collection, we will simple use the Akonadi::CollectionCreateJob, the cilents job is done. Now its the job of Akonadi to take care of the collection, where and how to create it. In order to handle that, Akonadi Server uses the resource. A resource is an akonadi agent that takes care of it.
I already had some sample codes which i had done for the proposal, so i started with the history class, finished that, then moved on to the resource. One problem i had was to figure out that, when you create collection, and want to create child collections for that, then the mime type of the parent collection should be inode/directory.